I’m Too Smart To Fall For Scam
- I Am Too Smart To Be Scammed
- Effects Of Feeling Too Smart To Be Scammed
- How To Protect Yourself
- Frequently Asked Questions
I Am Too Smart To Be Scammed
Let’s be honest about this.
How Did We Develop This Mindset?
1. Overconfidence.
2. Stereotyping
We are sometimes driven by what we’ve been told again and again.
3. Past Wins.
Perhaps you somehow managed to spot two fake messages last year, so you think you are some type of expert or have scam radar. You stop being careful or checking closely.
4. Your Ego.
At times you may be feeling good thinking within yourself: "I’m sharper than the average person." Scammers sense this and they latch onto it like a leech.
Effects Of Feeling Too Smart
If you think you are untouchable by scam, I suggest you consider the following outcomes and do a rethink:
1. You Become Negligent
2. You Become Overconfident
You are convinced you’d know if something was fake, so you stop verifying. That’s exactly how scammers get you. By the time you realize what's happening, it’s already too late.
3. You Abandon Caution
How do scammers use this against you?
1. They flatter you.
2. They make it look too real to question.
3. They Use Authority On You.
How do you normally react to posers like these?
"From the office of..."
"This is urgent from your bank manager..."
They know that you, like most people, respect authority and are likely to obey such requests disguised as voices of authority without hesitation.
4. Social Pressure
The worst part?
So how do you protect yourself?
1. Be Suspicious And Realistic:
2. Slow Down.
3. Verify everything.
4. Talk to someone.
"Hello, does this look right to you?"
Let's get it straight: it's easier for a neutral second brain to catch or detect what yours misses.
5. Stay Humble.
6. Obey Data Protection Basics.
Have you heard this story?
Chinedu is a bank manager. He signs off on fraud cases every week.
He always said, "That can't be me. I'm too smart for scams."
One Tuesday, he received one email and it looked real. He clicked it, mindlessly.
Just one click and 20 minutes later, ₦1.2M was gone.
If the guy who fights fraud for a living can get duped, anyone can.
Don’t give them that moment.
Simple Self-Assessment Quiz:
Am I "Too Smart" To Fall For A Scam?
How to Use:
Read each question. Circle Yes or No.
Part 1: Red Flag Habits
If you circle Yes to any of these, that’s a habit to fix now.
1. Do I think "I am not the type that falls for scam" and believe I am immune? Yes / No
2. Do I feel overconfident because I have never been scammed before? Yes / No
3. Do I rely on stereotyping and think scams only happen to old people or uneducated people? Yes / No
4. Do I act like a scam expert because I spotted 2 fake messages last year and stop checking closely? Yes / No
5. Do I feel "I am sharper than the average person" and let my ego drop my guard? Yes / No
6. Do I explain away red flags with "It is probably nothing" instead of taking it seriously? Yes / No
7. Do I stop verifying because I am convinced I would know if something was fake? Yes / No
8. Do I abandon caution and move fast because I think "I can handle this"? Yes / No
9. Do I fall for flattery like "You are one of our VIP customers. Only smart people get this offer"? Yes / No
10. Do I obey fake authority without checking like "From the office of" or "This is urgent from your bank manager"? Yes / No
11. Do I join because of social pressure like "Everyone else is doing it" so I won’t be the odd man out? Yes / No
Part 2: Green Flag Habits
The more Yes here, the safer you are.
1. Do I accept that anybody can be scammed, including me, and stay realistic? Yes / No
2. Do I slow things down and freeze it for 24hrs instead of rushing? Yes / No
3. Do I verify everything by ignoring the number they gave me and calling the company using the number on their official website? Yes / No
4. Do I Google Name + scam before acting. Examples: "Andrew Drake" scam, "Binance" scam, "Quick Cash Loan" scam Nigeria? Yes / No
5. Do I talk to someone and ask "Hello, does this look right to you" for a second opinion? Yes / No
6. Do I stay humble and admit that I can be fooled, just like everyone else? Yes / No
7. Do I obey data protection basics: long different passwords for every account? Yes / No
8. Do I turn on 2FA so that even if someone cracks my password they remain locked out? Yes / No
9. Do I never ever share my BVN or OTP with anyone, no matter who they say they are? Yes / No
How To Read Your Result:
Mostly Yes in Part 1 = Danger Zone
You are in the "I Am Not The Type" trap. Scammers are counting on this. Slow down and start verifying.
Mostly Yes in Part 2 = Safe Zone
You are protecting your money and peace of mind. Keep these habits.
Mix of Yes in both = Caution Zone
Pick 2 habits from Part 2 and start them this week.
Quick Fix Rule:
If you feel fear, pressure, or secrecy, stop.
Call someone. Verify first. Then act.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Can smart, educated people still get scammed?
A: Yes. Scammers target confidence, not intelligence. Doctors, lawyers, and bankers fall for scams every day because they drop their guard.
Q. What is the "I Am Not The Type" trap?
A: It’s the belief that "only gullible people get scammed." This overconfidence makes you ignore red flags and skip verification steps.
Q. How do scammers use flattery and authority?
A: They call you "VIP" or "smart" to puff up your ego. They also fake emails like "From your bank manager" to make you obey without thinking.
Q. What is the fastest way to check if something is a scam?
A: Slow down for 24 hours and verify. Google `Name + "scam"` and call the company using the number on their official website, not the one they gave you.
Q. What should I never share with anyone?
A: Never share your BVN, OTP, bank password, or card PIN. No real bank or company will ever ask for these over phone, email, or WhatsApp.

Comments
Post a Comment